[lit-ideas] Re: Eating on Spanish Time

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:21:54 -0700

A friend writes to suggest that "Fish on a Train" might be a good sequel to
"Snakes on a Plane."

We are currently very much at the mercy of Amtrak.  The plan--see below--always
had in it the potential for... well... difficulties.  My daughter's chum
decided to drive from L.A. to Vancouver, with his parents.  They stopped here
for a day, collected E., made it across the border.  E. got a weekend in
Vancouver.  The L.A. people had decided to drop the car at Seattle airport and
fly home.  E. hitched a ride back as far as Pike's Place Market, bought a
salmon that had been still swimming this morning (or so the man said), made her
way to the Amtrak station...whence she called to say that her train is delayed.
 Her original e.t.a. was 5:50, which was close for people coming over to eat at
seven-ish, but do-able.  Now we may be eating on Spanish time.  Or there might
have to be a plan B.

I've ordered a second and third Rennie Airth from the library.  Rennie is a
man's name.  I assumed that Charles Rennie Mackintosh had been given a family
ancestor's name, but maybe not.  Did you know that Charles was fourth of eleven
children?  Learn something every day.

Finally today, I have a bit more energy.  Take that, you tsetse fly/monosodium
glutamate imaginary bugs you.  My idea is to unimagine you, defeat you, set
about building a new, improved immune system with some of Seattle's Dadly-est
fish.  If, of course, said fish arrives in time to be eaten.

Carry on,

David Ritchie,
Portland,