[lit-ideas] Easter

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 12:56:21 -0500

Things change, don't they?  Like here it is Spring again and I was just
getting used to Winter.  God loves tricking people.  Like with tornadoes and
earthquakes.  Keep 'em on their toes.  I like God.  He has a sense of humor
much like mine -- that's hard to find.  Sometimes in spring amid all the
sprouting and bird shouting and young women baring their legs -- amid all
that I feel a certain reverence for old Mother Earth.  How many gazillions
of creature-children has suckled?  Tried to set straight and sent on their
way?  Easter.  The Church (there's only one, you know, no matter the name)
has co-opted this festival of the R's -- Renewal, Regeneration,
Reaffirmation, Return, Rebirth, Revival, Revolution, Revelation, Reverence,
Resurgence -- the whole bloddy "R" thing -- I'm sure JL, can help us out
here -- and turned Easter into a political theme park.  I still salute the
daffodils and the dogwoods and the redbuds even though they congest my
sinuses terribly.  Power to pollen!

Enjoy being alive,. folks, that's really all you've got.

Mike
in Memphis (still), and loving it more the worse it gets.