[lit-ideas] Re: ERRATUM Re: SUNDAY POEM

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 08:10:54 -0500

Brian:
> You took an opposite path as Thomas Merton - have you ever read SEVEN
> STOREY MOUNTAIN?

Yes, indeed.  In fact St. Mary's Seminary where I studied (now a women's
prison -- I love that!) wasn't very far from Gethsemane, the Trappist
Monastery Merton belonged to.  I often thought of trying to contact him
there, but, typically, I never did get around to even trying.  Merton was a
hero of mine, his involvement in the peace movement and furtherance of civil
rights and his interest in Eastern spirituality made him so.  I remember
reading his Seeds Of Destruction in the mid 60's.  It was not a very hopeful
book.  Those were my Catholic Worker days and I was looking forward eagerly
to the transformation of America into a just and egalitarian society.  He
brought me back down to earth.  Though a contemplative, he didn't look at
life through polarized glasses.

Mike Geary
Memphis