[lit-ideas] Re: "E muoio disperato"

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 23:17:23 -0500

I think one of the most beautiful aria's is "Eben Ne Andro Lontana" from La
Wally, by Catalani, especially as sung by Maria Callas..

Second most beautiful if not equal is Un Bel Di Vedremo from La Dama Butterfly.

I must confess that I hate Opera, but I love arias.  I think they're the most
powerful music in the world.  I hate all English opera arias.  Not knowing what
they're singing is a great gift.  One must go purely with the quality of the
music and voice.  It's all about the emotional content.  No doubt many would
think this is the judgment of a diminished mind, but guess what?  I don't care.
 I've only seen one opera, La Boheme when the Met used to stop in Memphis.  The
staging was so luxurious I had to close my eyes to appreciate the music.  I
only "saw" about 1/3 of it.

I listened to JL's favorite E Lucevan le Stelle sung by Monsalve.  Very good,
very passionate, but males can't rip my heart out and jump up and down on it
like divas can.  Of course, there's "Recitar!  Vesti La Giugga" from Pagliacci,
but that can get a bit over the top, still it's something to be reckoned with.

Mike Geary
Memphis