[lit-ideas] Re: E is for Easter

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 10:12:27 -0700

Thesis grades are due today so I am, of course, studying the obits.  Joseph
Leonard Berube clearly liked an unusual name;  he married Rohana Ovington.
His sister, on the other hand, became Mary Ann Green.

A memorial service will be held at the Molalla Moose Lodge for Verda M.
Bloom, an accountant who married Richard B. in 1963.  That's how he is
identified.  I think his full name was Bloom, but it could have been
Benthin--children are listed as Merle W. Gilbert, William A. Gilbert,
Michael D. Bloom and Nancy K. Benthin.

Lyle E. Lee was a filbert farmer, a profession that gave him a bit of an ear
for sound; he named his kids Linda, Lara, Terra and Darra.  I see now that
using an initial for the surname of a family member is common (though
confusing).  Bey G. Mease, who married Mary Ellen Easter, is survived by his
son Mark E. and daughter Reba I. Eagles.  E. is for Easter, not Meese or
Eagles.

Linda Wagner is survived by, among others, Adonis Thompson and Herbert
Scruggs.  It's altogether better to be survived by an Adonis than a Herbert,
don't you think?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon