[lit-ideas] Dumbing it down for Julie...

  • From: "David Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 23:06:43 -0500

R e s p o n d i n g   t o  t h e  f o l l o w i n g . . .

Irene:

Natural gas powers a lot of our electricity (oil is mostly
transportation, agriculture, plastics and the like) and natural gas is
going the way of oil which is to say, it's a finite resource, running
down.  Water is running down too, so states that use hydroelectric power
may start to see declines in the not too distant future.  Biofuel is a
waste, literally.
The problem with nuclear power plants is that they take about 10 years to
come on line, and they take oil to build, so we need to get started on
them pretty quick...
The real answer is conservation, lots of conservation, plus wind and
solar farms out in the desert.  Also conserving water big time and
transporting goods by rail and water instead of truck.

w  r i t i n g  v e           r y s l o         w        l        y . . .
d.

  Is David talking to himself? Julie Krueger

  On 5/29/08, David Wright <wright@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Well said. That is the problem, in a nutshell, that the majority
    will not exercise limited use.  I suspect that even coal would
    suffice if only...  That is, fundamentally, my argument against
    religious veggiedom.  That is to say, that abstention from the
    consumption of meat is not enough, it is merely a star(t) on the
    horizon...

    egregiously yours,
    d.

      I recently heard a discussion with pro-nuclear power types
      who claim it's not dangerous.  They made a pretty good case.
      The problem from what I could tell is that we don't really
      have much choice.  Natural gas powers a lot of our
      electricity (oil is mostly transportation, agriculture,
      plastics and the like) and natural gas is going the way of
      oil which is to say, it's a finite resource, running
      down.  Water is running down too, so states that use
      hydroelectric power may start to see declines in the not too
      distant future.  Biofuel is a waste, literally.

      The problem with nuclear power plants is that they take about
      10 years to come on line, and they take oil to build, so we
      need to get started on them pretty quick, and of course where
      to bury the rods (some can be recycled I think).
      Unfortunately, we need so many power plants that there's only
      enough uranium for about 20 years if enough plants were to be
      built to power everything.

      The real answer is conservation, lots of conservation, plus
      wind and solar farms out in the desert.  Also conserving
      water big time and transporting goods by rail and water
      instead of truck.  I heard/read that Algeria I think is
      coming up with solar farms, these huge magnified mirror type
      things, such that they may be able to power Europe.   We're
      not even beginning to think about anything at all.