[lit-ideas] Drowning by Numbers

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 12:40:16 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 11/30/2013 1:46:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx writes in a post about World Wide Words on 'drown':

"I have been aware of a gap between some kind of legal or medical
definition and the more common sense since a friend died in the late seventies
or
early eighties of "near drowning."  It didn't seem like the sort of  thing a
person could die of."

This from today's "World Wide Words",

World Wide Words is copyright © Michael Quinion 2013
http://www.worldwidewords.org.

re: "a weakening in sense of drown drew numerous comments"

It may have Griceian implicatures. Or not.

Cheers

Speranza

---

"John Douglas noted that a similar shift has already occurred with
electrocute, which originally meant to execute a person by means of
electricity.
It soon shifted to include dying by an accidental shock and has since come to
 mean suffering either injury or death. Gregory Harris similarly commented
on  starve, which originally meant to die by any means (a close relative,
German  sterben, retains that meaning) but in Middle English that sense was
passed to  die, a word from Old Norse, and starve took on the specific sense
of dying  through hunger; it has now become diluted in meaning to the point
that it can  colloquially mean merely that the speaker is very hungry; we
have to say starve  to death to make it clear that the process has been fatal.
Michael Moore pointed  out that a parallel change is beginning to take place
with drown because we are  seeing examples of drown to death."

"Dr John Smith commented, “Common usage in the US medical community
describes near-drowning as the condition following immersion from which
resuscitation is successful. If unsuccessful, the patient’s death is due to
drowning.""

"The fuzziness about the finality of drown is not new. Dick Kenney
reported, “In 1970, I went with a fellow worker onto a Massachusetts low tide
flat
to dig clams. He told me on the long way out that he drowned once and was
wary of incoming tides. I was kind of startled by this statement as he
looked  pretty much alive as far as I could tell. Since then, I’ve heard other
uses of  drowned where the victim survived.” On the American Dialect Society
list, John  Baker noted a couple of examples from 1869 that referred to a
person having  drowned but then been resuscitated."