[lit-ideas] Dr. Feelgood and the Interns

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:26:52 EDT

P. A. Stone wrote [amongst other things]:

>>people DO die -- including us.

M. Chase comments:

>Paul's post raises all kinds of questions, but I'll hone  them
>down to
>two:
>Given that many people often feel that  life is hard to take: is
>this inevitable or not?

In my reading, Stone was saying that _death_ is hard to take (or accept) --
not life? Which was a non-sequitur because as Stone notes:

>>people do die (including us).

Geary commented:

>>>I think maybe the very last concern of philosophy
>>>would be how we feel about our lives.
>>>At least  not in any Dr. Feelgood way.

Chase comments:

>>I don't know what you mean by this.

Robert Paul answers:

>I think that MG means that philosophy cannot _pace_ Bentham, help  us
>understand our lives at the level of pleasant sensations and smiley  faces.
That
>is, even if philosophy could help us understand our lives (or  show us why we
>can't) it would do so at a more interesting level than  this. This was
surely the
>Socratic program. And if MG does mean this, I'd  agree. At what level and how
>philosophy does help us understand our  lives, I have no idea: I don't really
>understand what's meant by  understanding one's life, as a broadly conceived
>enterprise--no idea what  would count as having understood my life, e.g. And
(for
>me), where the  answer does not exist, the question does not exist.

By Geary's own answer, I think he (Geary) was having blues pianist (William
Perryman) in mind, rather than Jeremy Bentham (the philosopher):

>>>I don't know what you mean by this.

>Yeah, you have to be familiar with a group called The Negro  Problem.  It's
>from one of their songs.  Pretty esoteric  reference.

Interestingly, the ellipstical is credited in the OED

     the term ["doctor feelgood"] seems to have
     been first used as a simple self-designation
     (without any of the later negative connotations)
     by the blues pianist â??Piano Redâ?? (William
     Perryman) who broadcast, and subsequently
     recorded, under this sobriquet. The words of
     the 1967 hit song which popularized the phrase
     do, however, suggest awareness of the sense
     described [above].

-- more below.

Cheers,

JL

--

OED

'feel-good' -- ellipt. for "Doctor Feelgood" s. v. DOCTOR, n 6 e  rare.

1972 Newsweek 25 Dec.  29/3

The best way to guard against  Feelgoods and charlatans is for the medical
profession to keep its own house in  order.

Doctor Feelgood  (usu. written as Dr.),  a physician who readily prescribes
mood-enhancing drugs, such as amphetamines,  esp. for non-medicinal use; hence,
any doctor who provides short-term  palliatives rather than a more effective
treatment or cure; also transf.  and attrib.

The term seems to have been first used as a simple  self-designation (without
any of the later negative connotations) by the blues  pianist â??Piano Redâ??
(William Perryman) who broadcast, and subsequently recorded,  under this
sobriquet. The words of the 1967 hit song which popularized the  phrase do,
however,
suggest awareness of the sense described above.

1962 â??PIANO REDâ??  (title of record) Dr. Feelgood and the  Interns.

1967 A. FRANKLIN & T. White in  Doctor Feelgood (song)

Don't send me no  doctor
Filling me up with all those pills
Got a man named Dr. Feelgood
That man takes care of all of my  pains and my ills.

1967 J. KRAMER Instant Replay (1968) 40

Ever since then,  we've called him â??Doctor Feelgoodâ??.

1973 Oui Apr. 55

Dr. Feelgood used to shoot Duke What's-His-Name in the  ass every week or so
with a nice mixture of speed and vitamins.

1975  Business Week (Industr. ed.) 24 Nov. 12/2

[There are those]  who treat the famous, and those who are famous because
they treat disease better  than other doctors. Among the former, you might find
the Dr. Feelgoods and the  Marcus Welby types who offer concern and gentle
bedside manners at very high  prices.

1978 Time 9 Oct. 45/1

The Carter  Administration has responded with a Dr. Feelgood litany that the
dollar's health is sound...  But the world's money traders are not buying that
happy talk.

1981  Washington Post 14 Aug.  A29/5

We have here a  problem that Ronald Reagan is peculiarly suited to address.
He is no phony Dr. Feelgood.  He is the Real Stuff.

1986 S. CHURCHER N.Y. Confidential xii. 288

What you need is a Dr. Feelgood.  Most of the physicians who provide
rejuvenating blasts of dope to rich New  Yorkers use amphetamines.

1992 M. LEYNER Et Tu, Babe (1993) v. 100

Wachtel was one of  the White House â??Dr. Feelgoodsâ?? who pumped JFK full of
speed every day.

Cheers,

JL