[lit-ideas] Dorothy Wordsworth

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:30:20 -0700 (PDT)

(A lot of typos in the earlier post; was distracted.  I'm sure colors are a
stand-in for whatever, but the argument doesn't change.)

I saw the movie Pandemonium (made in 2000, Netflix) about the rivalry between
William Wordsworth and Samuel Coleridge.  They made Wordsworth out to be pretty
dastardly, which I had no idea, if it's true.  (It could be like the movie
Amadeus and their depiction of Salieri, except it was a BBC movie.)  The
interesting part though, was that Dorothy Wordsworth, his sister, contracted
some sort of illness that caused her Alzheimer's-like symtoms while in her
50's.  Nobody knows exactly what caused the illness, but medical archeology
thinks that it was a thiamin deficiency, a B vitamin.  I know beri beri was
common in the 19th century after refining of grains became widespread.
Deficiency diseases (beri beri, pellagra, rickets) were eliminated with white
flour enrichment in the early 20th century.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1296818/pdf/jrsocmed00023-0050.pdf

Andy