[lit-ideas] Re: Dorothy Parker's Zeugma and Grice's Parsimony

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 18:57:12 -0500

In a message dated 11/2/2015 4:51:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes:
"Interesting stuff here -- all that conceptual analysis and language and
stuff. Over my head that's for sure. I'm still struggling with what
Dorothy
Parker said: "It's a small apartment. Hardly enough room to lay my
purse
and a couple of friends." What did she mean by purse?"

"The Elements of Eloquence" has it as:

iii. I've barely room enough to lay my hat and a few friends.

which zeugma also gets enriched by the complications of 'barely': cfr.

iv. She is barely amusing.
v. She is hardly amusing.

Not to mention the pleonetetic implicatures of 'few' ("how few is few?")
and the shady side to 'enough' ("Enough is enough" -- the worst tautology
ever).

Cheers,

Speranza