[lit-ideas] Dorothy Parker's Zeugma

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 18:03:20 -0500

How small can an apartment be?

In a message dated 11/5/2015 4:27:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Now as to JL's reply to my reply to his response to my post of Dorothy
Parker's witticism in which I asked what did she mean by "purse"? JL glibly
says she meant "purse". To his summary dismissal of my cogent question, I
reply: "Who steals my purse steals trash."

Well, etymologically Dorothy Parker's purse came from the Latin 'bursa'.

The meaning "woman's handbag" is attested from 1951 -- notably from
Parker's Journals. The meaning "sum of money collected as a prize in a race,
etc.," is earlier from 1640s.

But the question is if a small apartment may contain such a prize IF BIG.
(Unless we assume Parker is contradicting herself -- cfr. Walt Whitman, one
of Bloom's heroes: "I contradict myself all the times, which is natural: I
contain multitudes.")

Cheers,

Speranza

"The apartment was so small there was barely room to lay my purse and a few
friends."