[lit-ideas] Re: Doom and Gloom

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:00:25 -0800 (PST)

I mean do no harm to each other, including animals.  In the process we will do
no harm to the ecology.  Sustainable living also means dropping all the
insecurities that lead to unnecessary consumption, which is most of
consumption.  Not having to prove anything to anyone (as might be embodied in
voluntary simplicity) means not having to prove anything to one's *self*.  That
is the, perhaps only, road to inner peace.  Unfortunately, the Road Less
Traveled isn't even a path.  It's more like digging the Panama Canal.

Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   >>We have no purpose, no meaning, and mostly we waste the little time we
have here on earth.  The only purpose, if there is purpose, is perhaps to do no
harm.<<

  Huhhh?  Oh, you mean ecological harm, I'm  guessing.  Well, you know, all
life feeds on life.  Several hundred billion bacteria are living in your gut at
this very moment and almost all of them are worried about you dying.  What's
the meaning of life, they wonder, we spend our lives helping her with her
digestion -- for what?  just to perish with her?  We've been party to her
living off the million living things she's eaten.  We're as guilty of murder as
she is.  What kind of life is this?  "Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over
it", as Black Box Recorder sings.