[lit-ideas] Re: Do we still have Grants and Shermans?

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 17:14:39 -0700

I thought the analogy flawed when I typed it.  I like yours better.

David
On Jun 20, 2008, at 5:11 PM, John McCreery wrote:

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 8:10 AM, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Does warfare tend to produce better commanders than military academies in peacetime? Are tennis players who only have a theoretical knowledge of the game likely to be good tennis players? I can't see that Hanson is telling us much.

The analogy warfare:military academies in peacetime::practical:theoretical misses, I believe, the extraordinary amount of practical training that an academy education includes. The amount of such training my daughter received at Annapolis was one of the major elements differentiating her experience from any that I enjoyed at Michigan State or Cornell. Of course, that training was largely restricted to things a junior officer should know. It was, however, far from purely theoretical.

A better tennis analogy might be someone who has trained for a while with a good coach and plays a decent amateur game, who has now, however, played in a major tournament.

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN