[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have a Moral Urgency?

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:24:09 +0100

> "Incidentally, would you charge Hezbollah with using civilians
as human
> shields?  If so, how could you justify that charge given your
views."

> Jan Egeland, UN humanitarian chief, made the charge after
visiting
> Lebanon:
>
> "Consistently, from the Hezbollah heartland, my message was
that
> Hezbollah must stop this cowardly blending ... among women and
> children," he said. "I heard they were proud because they lost
very few
> fighters and that it was the civilians bearing the brunt of
this. I
> don't think anyone should be proud of having many more children
and
> women dead than armed men."

but according to you, we can't tell that "the civilians" bore the
brunt.
I'm not accusing you of arguing idiosyncratically that Hezbollah
used
civilians as human shields -- more or less everybody does argue
that --
I'm asking you to justify it, as I say and as you quote me as
saying,
given your views (that it's impossible to tell Lebanese
non-combatant
from Hezbollah combatant).

> "Incidentally, would you charge Hezbollah with using civilians
as human
> shields?  If so, how could you justify that charge given your
views."

> Jan Egeland, UN humanitarian chief, made the charge after
visiting
> Lebanon:
>
> "Consistently, from the Hezbollah heartland, my message was
that
> Hezbollah must stop this cowardly blending ... among women and
> children," he said. "I heard they were proud because they lost
very few
> fighters and that it was the civilians bearing the brunt of
this. I
> don't think anyone should be proud of having many more children
and
> women dead than armed men."
>
> Egeland was equally hard on Israel so it wasn't as though he
was taking
> sides.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Phil Enns