[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have a Moral Urgency?

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:57:38 +0100

>   I refer here to Politically Correct English (PCE), under
> whose conventions failing students become "high-potential"
> students and poor people "economically disadvantaged" and
> people in wheelchairs "differently abled" and a sentence
> like "White English and Black English are different and you
> better learn White English if you don't want to flunk" is
> not blunt but "insensitive."

Of course I think the first 2 examples are silly and I've gone in
bat against the second -- within groups of disabled people
and on feminist lists.  The third, well, I'd put the third
differently
if I happened to need to make the point (i.e. I'd make the same
point but less bluntly, unless there was no alternative); I hope
I'd also bear in mind as I made it what I trust Wallace bears in
mind,
that there are white people who need to learn "White English" or
flunk, too.

To my main point.

 On the one hand
> they can be a reflection of political change, and on the
> other they can be an instrument of political change. These
> two functions are different and have to be kept straight.
> Confusing them — in particular, mistaking for political
> efficacy what is really just a language's political
> symbolism ... — enables the bizarre conviction that America
> ceases to be elitist or unfair simply because Americans stop
> using certain vocabulary that is historically associated
> with elitism and unfairness.

Clearly calling someone "economically disadvantaged" rather than
"poor" fits this analysis.  Avoiding derogatory terms for black
and
Jewish people -- and Arabs -- may do too, in that of course
racism,
anti-semitism, and ethnic discrimination don't disappear when
offensive terms cease to be used.  But I doubt you'd argue
that we should use offensive racist terms for this reason, that
avoiding them is silly and Stalinist (etc.).  And though Simon's
point about context is important too, I'd say the more
offensive a term, the rarer the context that can absolve its
user.

IOW that -- particularly in the US, as compared to the UK --
"PC" has become extensive and also seen as an agent of change (in
way that it has not, for many on the left here), is no reason for
us to ignore the language of racism and antisemitism and ethnic
hate (and sexism, but this has never been a
list particularly attuned to that).

I commend to you Jeremy Waldron's "Boutique Faith"

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n14/wald01_.html