[lit-ideas] Re: Do You Have Free Will?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 20:23:39 -0230

Somebody somewhere put it quite well. Paraphrasing:  When I'm deliberating about
what to do I am not trying to predict what I will do. Thus is freedom of the
will a necessary condition for the very possibility of rationally choosing,
deciding, inquiring, etc.. Whether finite, fallible beings such as we are
*really* have free will is, as the Russians say: "Nye riba nye myasa." The
question, in other words is quite otiose. Das heisst: you have to decide and we
want your decision within 24 hours (and you better be right). Everything else is
commentary.

Cheers, Walter