[lit-ideas] Diversity Questions

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:06:42 -0400

While on the subject of national languages, I wanted to ask about diversity. For the past thirty years at least, everyone here has been bombarded with a simple, optimistic proposition:

Diversity is strength.

What empirical evidence do we have to support that proposition? Is it just an act of faith? Do we have actual evidence that diversity is strength or is just a leap of intuition? Do we merely HOPE that diversity is strength?

Furthermore, assuming diversity IS strength, where does the path of encouraging this diversity lead? America takes people from all over the world in the name of diversity, gets them to accept capitalist monoculture and thrive in it...and do what?

Become more homogeneous?

Isn't "accepting diversity" a way of taming diversity so as to destroy it? Doesn't the "accepting diversity" route ultimately lead to uniformity?

Asking questions without an agenda,
Eric