[lit-ideas] Re: Disintigration of values, British TV, Heidegger

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 21:54:08 -0800

You have written a strange note, Robert.  You reference one of my notes and
seem to reply to another, except you reply to just one part of that, a sort
of "aside" and don't address main emphasis which provides Kundera's 5
choices for "possibilities," that is, what one can do in the face of the
(assumed) decline in values.  My example of the lawyers arguing for the
right to lie was something I happened to read in the paper that morning, a
clear indication of a decline in one value, reminding me of what Kundera
wrote.

Your note implies that I didn't cover what I had in mind by values - or that
I had nothing in mind and was merely groping for what Kundera had in mind.
The note you reference, not the one you responded to, should clear that up -
or at least point you in a more promising direction.

Lawrence