[lit-ideas] Re: Disintigration of values, British TV, Heidegger

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 23:41:39 -0800

Lawrence Helm wrote

Robert,

Upon rereading your note, I see I didn't address everything. As to your criticism of the sentence, I put something in brackets to make better sense of it, but I assume the fault is the translator's (Linda Asher's) and not Kundera's. I'm afraid I didn't find this fault interesting enough to provide a "sic," and I probably should have. Or perhaps I should have dwelt upon that sentence a bit to show what I assumed it meant. No, Kundera doesn't specify which values he is referring to, but bear in mind that he was mightily influenced by Heidegger. His "loss of values" could well be considered Kundera's rough equivalent to Heidegger's "loss of being." The "loss of being" was a subject Kundera dwelt upon in some of his novels, e.g., "The Unbearable Lightness of Being."

[remainder of Lawrence's post omitted]

Thank you for this thoughtful and enlightening reply. I cannot respond to it now, for I type slowly, and need some rest.

Until tomorrow, then.

Robert