[lit-ideas] Re: Disimplicatures of "Know"

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:31:06 -0800

There was a man implicating and carefully not dissing in Costco yesterday.
Stood under a sign that said, "World's Finest Knives," he was inviting people
to handle specially dulled (and therefore safe) examples.  I asked whether he
didn't think the sign was a bit of a stretch, what with Kershaw's factory being
just over the hill there.  "Finest," he explained, "doesn't mean best.  It
means 'well-priced.'  You have to pay more for the best."

In our paper today Chrysler is described as "one of the leading innovators."
There must also be trailing innovators and leading quotidian producers, none of
which produce "new innovations" quite as well.  As my father says, "English is
a very malleable language."

You knew that already.  Or sensed it.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,