[lit-ideas] Re: Disimplicatures of "Know"

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:04:19 +0900

Omar,

As far as I can make out, your logic is impeccable. The problem is in the
assumptions. For (2) belief and (3) justification, evidence can be produced
and judged, to use the legal formula, as beyond reasonable doubt. But No.1,
that the proposition is, in fact, true is problematic. If truth is supposed
to be the whole truth and nothing but the truth and irrefutable forever,
then, outside the artificial games that mathematicians play, truth is
rarely, if ever, to be found. We take such statements as f=ma, e=mc^2, AIDS
is caused by the HIV virus, and the speed limit in the state of Virginia is
55 miles per hour to be knowledge because all are supported by evidence and
taken to be true for various practical purposes, plotting an orbit to the
moon, building an atomic bomb, testing for HIV infection, avoiding speeding
tickets, etc. But are they "true" in some capital T True without
qualification sense that fresh evidence could never change? It is true, for
example, that 55 miles per hour is the usual speed limit on Virginia
highways. It is also true that the speed limit on Interstate Highways is,
outside of metropolitan areas, 65 miles per hour, and that speed limits may
be lowered to 45, 35, or even 15 miles per hour, depending on local
circumstances. Do these facts make the statement that the speed limit in
the state of Virginia is 55 miles per hour untrue and unworthy of being
considered knowledge? Or do we simply accept the fact that what counts as
knowledge is rarely unqualified and that judgments may change when
circumstances or evidence changes? And, if we accept this form of
"knowledge" as knowledge, where is the criterion of truth independent of
belief and justification?

Seeking enlightenment gradually,

John

John McCreery