[lit-ideas] Re: Dishes

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:45:27 +0100

On 17-Jan-12, at 11:52 AM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

People still do dishes?

Here in Germany the dishwasher (i.e. 'machine for washing dishes automatically') is ubiquitous, almost universal. It is argued that using these machines is more efficient (with regards to both water and energy use) than washing dishes manually. I can't help wondering if the water and energy costs of producing, transporting, storing, advertising, retailing, installing, maintaining, repairing and, ultimately, disposing of those machines are factored into those efficiency calculations. (And then there is all that manual washing of dishes, utensils, pots and pans that people with dishwashers still carry out - surely that must be factored into those costs as well.)

As chief dish washer in our household, I last year briefly considered and discussed buying a dishwasher as we were designing the kitchen for our new apartment, but decided and argued against one without really researching or calculating the aforementioned costs to the environment (neither the monetary cost of the machine nor the space it would take up in the kitchen was an issue). Was I wrong (i.e., are dishwashers 'better for the environment' than dish washers)?

Chris Bruce,
who, yes, still does the dishes
- every second day - in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. I also occasionally watch (well, more 'listen to', actually) television programs that have been uploaded to YouTube on my laptop while washing up. Currently I'm working my way through the 'Rumpole of the Bailey' series.

-cb (somewhere in the middle of 'Rumpole's Return')