[lit-ideas] Re: Disgriceful!

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 10:31:13 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Thu, 27/5/10, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>In that photo, he is seated in a rather old-fashioned armchair next to a
>>library which seems to be filled with all the wrong kind of books.

The ones you can't colour in?

>He interviewed everybody BUT the man (Grice).

At the crucial time, Grice may have nipped out for a sneaky fag.

> I know Magee also popularised other philosophers, less modern, and more
> modern, etc.

His besteverseller, surprising to him and the publisher it was the bestseller
in the series it came out in, was his book on "Popper" (now in the Modern
Masters series).

Magee in "Confessions" makes clear he was on P's side when P debated with the
Oxbridge crew for a Radio 3 discussion and believed that the attacks on
language philosophy as a movement that kept sharpening its pencils but never
drew anything, or kept cleaning its glasses but never looked at anything with
them etc. were basically well-founded. He believes the defence Strawson,
Warnock et al made to Popper were limp and evasive of the underlying issues. In
one discussion P expressed his view of W's _PI_ as that he did not disagree
with any of it but confessed it bored him -"bores me to tears". [It does not
bore me to tears btw; whether right or wrong, it is interesting].

>Strawson perhaps had one tutee too many.

One was too many I suspect.

Magee is full of praise for Strawson's remorseless intellect and accepts the
need for analytical picking-apart: his problem is more - what then is left of
value? In tutorials, having picked-apart some philosopher or other, he would
ask if that is all there is to this why are we studying this philosopher at
all? His answer is that the greatness of their thinking was not properly
reflected in treating them merely as a subject for "analytical" point-scoring -
some of which was entirely point-missing.

Donal