[lit-ideas] Disgriceful!

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 20:49:22 EDT

In a message dated 5/26/2010 9:12:59 P.M., donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:

In it,  one of his tutors was Strawson. Grice isn't much mentioned  afair
----
Good. I was referring to the book I AM familiar with, complete with photos.
 This is the old "Men of Ideas", published by the (now defunct, in part)
BBC  Publihers. It has photos of everybody including, in slippers, if that's
what  they are called, by Magee.

----- In that photo, he is seated in a rather old-fashioned armchair next
to a library which seems to be filled with all the wrong kind of books.

He interviewed everybody BUT the man (Grice). I think Grice is mentioned in
 Magee's conversation with Searle.

----- I know Magee also popularised other philosophers, less modern, and
more modern, etc.

--- Strawson perhaps had one tutee too many.

I once approached Schffer:

"You never should have betrayed Grice as  you did. He was your TUTOR!"

"He was NOT," he said calmly -- we were in a bar and he was holding a
whisky glass --. "Strawson was".

----

J. L. Speranza
-- for the Grice Club.