[lit-ideas] Discrimination: Brought to you by the letter X

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:06:03 -0600

The letter "X" may soon be banned from Saudi Arabia after the country's Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice ruled against Amru Mohammad Faisal, a Saudi businessman who asked to trademark the English name "Explorer" for a service he was providing. The commission nixed the name because religious experts deemed the letter "X" suspiciously similar to a cross. Faisal mocked the commission in a newspaper article, wondering if they were going to ban the plus sign in mathematics, in order "to prevent filthy Christian conspiracies from infiltrating our thoughts, our beliefs, and our feelings."