[lit-ideas] Re: Disbelief

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:30:39 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: "Steven G. Cameron" <stevecam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Dec 13, 2004 8:03 AM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Disbelief

Paul Stone wrote:

> On the other hand, the first sign of the apocalypse has come in the
> [apparent] turning of Antony Flew into a 'theist'. UGH!!!
>
> http://www.biola.edu/antonyflew/
>

> losing all hope,

**Please don't -- recalls to mind an earlier debate: is atheism a
religion?? Why are we constantly grouping ourselves to justify beliefs
-- do numbers (of adherents/members) lend credence/authority?? Must a
philosophy be validated or rationalized by the quantity of its devotees??

A.A. Good point.  Personally, I couldn't care less if I were the only atheist
on the planet, I would still be one.  Principles are something we believe in
regardless of what others believe.  Looking for gurus means we don't know what
we believe, only what others believe.

Andy Amago

TC,

/Steve Cameron, NJ