[lit-ideas] Re: Disbelief

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:57:41 EST

The idea in Jewish mysticism is that there is no adequate/accurate thing  you
can say about God -- that God is un-predicable; no predicates are
sufficient.  "Lo" ("nothing") is that (God) about which nothing can be  said.
A similar
sentiment is echoed in the Nag Hammadi Codices -- God the  ineffable, the
incomprehensible, etc.  God is that which cannot be  described or comprehended.

Negative theology.  Re. atheists being  negative theologians, you'll have to
wait until I've surfaced from salmon,  turkey, Hannukias, and Christmas paper.
Tis the season.

Julie Krueger
whose favourite time of year used to be Christmas
========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Disbelief  Date:
12/20/04 11:49:43 A.M. Central Standard Time  From: _aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) , _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:
Many thanks for this site.  Negative theology  appears to be knowledge of God
obtained by way of negation.  This seems a  contradiction in terms.  If God
or fairies or angels or Santa Claus don't  exist for me, how can I gain
knowledge of these non-entities?  For purposes  of negative theology, since I'm
an
atheist, wouldn't I have negated the concept  already?  Am I not practicing
negative theology already?

Andy Amago