[lit-ideas] "Direction of Fit" (Was: Performatives)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:19:41 EDT

In a message dated 8/11/2004 5:26:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Now to  my mind, a "computer program" is either a text
containing instructions  saying---or descriptions of---what
a the computer is supposed to do _or_  it is the
function---the process---that is actually performed by the
computer.

As a text it seems to me that the computer program  should be
treated as any other text, although there are many who argue
that since it is not directed at communicating something
to other human  beings it is not entitled to such protections.
(That's usually where the  claim that a program is a device
arises.)

As a process, on  the other hand, it seems to me that a computer
program should only be  regulated in the same way that other
processes---like writing or printing  or speaking---that produces
signs or symbols are regulated.

I hope  that there are others on the list who can direct me
to discussions that  relate to this concern of mine.

----

Re:

>>instructions saying -- or descriptions of --
>>what the computer is supposed to do.

----

Note that there you are dealing with (I think J. L. Austin originally  called
-- different) "directions of fit".

An instruction would have "word-to-world" direction of fit. A 'description'
would have "world-to-word" direction of fit.

The 'direction of fit' criterion was used by Searle in his taxonomy of
'speech acts' which are _something_ *like* Austin's 'performatives'.

(As R. Paul commented, Austin had to eventually abandon his theory of
performatives, even though it was a cute one and one of which he was also proud
 of
even if conscious that it was _false_.)

"Direction of fit" is also used by G. Anscombe (and Grice in 'Intention and
Uncertainty', the example of a shopping list that tells you what you _should_
buy or describes what you did buy).

Cheers,

JL