[lit-ideas] Re: Dimphina After and Before the War

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 21:16:15 -0700

In our obits today Nathelle Meaghan Taylor Greenleaf's life was recounted.
Born Nathelle Rosari Meaghan, the youngest of twelve children of James Joseph
and Dimphina Tillemans in Estelline, S.D., in 1915, she met her first husband,
John Taylor in Minneapolis.  They had two children, Nathelle Dean and Pamela
Francis.  Jack died at age 36.  Twenty two years later she married again.  He
died four years later.  She is described as having "passed away" with "grace
and style" at age 96.  In case you were wondering, Nathelle Dean is female.

I noted two birth dates on the same page: Sept 10, 1919 (Bernice, born in
London, England) and April 12, 1946 (Vernon, no birthplace reported). Hooray,
the war is over.  There were also, however, May 6 1916 and Sept 2, 1918.  A
hard week for the nonogenarians.  Sunday's paper had a woman who gave up her
medical practice at 103, and lived to 114.

Carry on.

David Ritchie,
Portland,