[lit-ideas] Re: Diet of Worms

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:58:06 +0100

I am surprised that Carol fails to mention the following well-known medical
fact:

"Sore throat and a running cold are relieved by snails -  they should be
boiled unwashed, and with only the earth taken off, crushed and given to
drink in raisin wine; some hold that the snails of Astypalaea are the most
efficacious - by their ash, and also by rubbing with a cricket or if anybody
touches the tonsils with hands that have crushed a cricket."

This according to Pliny the Elder at http://www.jubilat.org/n9/pliny.html.
Ditch your family practioner and save on health insurance premiums. All the
solutions to your medical problems are here. Snails, their shells and their
slime, have many different uses, but my two favorite remedies (and it was a
very difficult choice) are:

"I find that a heavy cold clears up if the sufferer kisses a mule's muzzle."

"We are assured that the hand of a person carried off by premature death
cures by a touch scrofulous sores, diseased parotid glands, and throat
affections; some however say that the back of any dead person's left hand
will do this if the patient is of the same sex.'

Best, Mirembe