[lit-ideas] Re: Die Grenzen der Sinnlichkeit

  • From: karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 04:11:05 +0200

On 13-Jul-09, at 3:43 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 7/12/2009 9:30:08 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
karltrogge@xxxxxxxx writes:
As a matter of fact, the  quotation I gave from Stawson ---

---

where?

I seem to have  missed that post, and it's not in the files. Can you
specify date and title?  Thanks.

JLS

This seems the easiet way:

On 13-Jul-09, at 2:47 AM, chrisbruce@xxxxxxxx wrote:

On 13-Jul-09, at 1:50 AM, Phil Enns wrote:

Jl wrote:

"God" for Kant, is not a sensous concept _within our bounds_, so, he argues, he is meaningless. Strawson, Grice, and I, agree."

The concept of God plays a role in both the first and second Critiques. For Kant, the concept of God is an idea of Reason for the purpose of organizing and making sense of other concepts, and therefore, certainly not meaningless.

Strawson is with Phil on this one, JL.

"[C]ertain ideas for which no empirical conditions of application can be specified and which are therefore a source of illusion if taken as relating to objects of possible knowledge may nevertheless have a useful, and even a necessary, function in the extension of empirical knowledge,when employed in a different way, which he entitles "regulative"-Such ideas are those of God, and of the soul conceived of as a simple immaterial substance. Though it would be illusion to think we can have knowledge, or even form any definite conception, of objects corresponding to either idea, yet advances in psychology and in science in general, Kant holds, are assisted by, even dependent on, tihnking of inner states as if they were states of an immaterial substance and thinking of the natural world in
general as if it were the creation of a divine intelligence."

from BOUNDS OF SENSE,  Peter Strawson (Routledge, 1975), p. 33

So just what is it that you and Grice are agreeing upon? A citation would be helpful here.

Karl Trogge
Hamburg