[lit-ideas] Re: Die Grenzen der Sinnlichkeit

  • From: karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 03:29:36 +0200

On 13-Jul-09, at 2:40 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

I would welcome an exegesis by P. Enns of the way in which "Deus" is a sensible concept even for Kant!

Why would Phil Enns bother when I've just given you Strawson explaining the role the concept 'God' plays in Kant's critical philosophy - i.e., a regulative one.

Forget about ambiguous, vacuous terms like 'the' 'bounds' 'of' and 'sense' as used by Strawson. Let's stick to German! (Does he say "Gott" or 'Deus'?)

You'll see it'll all start to sound circular and that Immanuel (or "Manny" as I call him) could not tell "Gott" from his (Left, German) Elbow!

A typical otiose Speranzism.  You claim  - and I quote you verbatim:

"God" for Kant, is not a sensous concept _within our bounds_, so, he argues, he is meaningless. Strawson, Grice, and I, agree."

As a matter of fact, the quotation I gave from Stawson outlines quite clearly how a concept like 'God' differs from a concept like 'elbow' - Kant would have no problem with that at all (and if you know so little of Kant that you don't see THAT, it's no wonder that you switch from ineffectual attempt at argument to an ineffectual attempt to cover your tracks).

YOU are the one who brought up the 'vacuous' terms, claiming agreement from Strawson and Grice. Phil Enns and I have shown that your claim about Kant is false, and that you in fact do not have Strawson on your side - which leads us all naturally to suspect your claim about Grice. SO - equally naturally - I have asked for some citation supporting THAT claim. Now you want us to forget the whole thing.

Why don't YOU give us that exegesis? The entire Kant corpus is online, so we can all follow easily as you go along. Then you can point out the circularity of Kant's position (maybe like Plato he too was just a poet and no philosopher, after all - and none of us have noticed. ;-))

Karl Trogge
Hamburg