[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 23:23:46 -0700

Eric Yost wrote:

My personal experience is the opposite. When I was most desperately poor, unhinged, living in an SRO in one of the worst parts of town, it was the poor people who were the most vicious and hurtful. And it was rich acquaintances (not friends, just acquaintances) who unexpectedly came to my aid, asking no recognition or repayment.

I'll take your word for it, Eric. But you might want to remember that famous 1976 Saul Steinberg New Yorker cover. Not all of the poor are street people and not all of them live in large cities.

Robert Paul