[lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:42:49 EDT

SRO?

========Original Message========
    Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Didn't I tell you so?  Date: 6/28/06 12:48:19 A.M.
Central Daylight Time  From: _eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Sent on:

> if you need help seek out the poor.  I've never known the  rich to give a
damn, the poor understand.

My personal experience  is the opposite. When I was most
desperately poor, unhinged, living in an  SRO in one of the
worst parts of town, it was the poor people who were the
most vicious and hurtful. And it was rich acquaintances (not
friends,  just acquaintances) who unexpectedly came to my
aid, asking no recognition  or repayment.

It's all very romantic to think the poor are noble, but
after watching homeless drunks fight each other with lead
pipes at 4  a.m., after watching the skankiest toothless
hookers sizing me up for a  manip or begging me for fix
change, after witnessing closeup the extreme  mental illness
of the homeless, the sadism and brutality of the ignorant
poor on a daily basis, you might sing a different song.

Maybe the  noble poor image fits with some pastoral Christ
dream, but in the real heart  of urban darkness, the poor are
just part of a vision of demons. They eat  themselves and
then they eat your  soul.