[lit-ideas] Re: Destinations

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:22:28 +0900

Lawrence,

Tight is good. And this poem speaks to me. I have often traveled for
business or pleasure on my own, feeling a bit guilty that Ruth wasn't
coming with me. The one point where I could use more detail is at the end.
"Marfa" stirs no associations in me, so the lights in question elicit only
the thought, "Oh, it must be some place with famous lights. . . or lights
with a special significance to Lawrence and Susan. . ."

Best wishes,

John

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>             Not that disruption was abnormal,
>
>             One product line would end, the
>
>             DC and KC-10 for example,
>
>             While another would gain
>
>             Momentum.  I was a Program
>
>             Engineer and scheduled to go
>
>             On the delivery of the last
>

>             Two DC-10s, one to Lagos
>
>             And the other to Karachi
>
>             With a side trip to Katmandu.
>
>             Susan meanwhile wanted to see
>
>             Her sister.  "Katmandu," they
>
>             Said with envy.  "And you
>
>             Won't have to pay a thing."
>

>             That wouldn't have been the case.
>
>             I didn't have a car that would get
>
>             Her to Texas and she wouldn't
>
>             Go there on the back of my bike;
>
>             So I bought a small Toyota
>
>             And drove her to Marfa
>
>             Where we saw the lights.
>

> Omar wrote earlier, "I was of course joking when I asked if that poem was
> by Ted Hughes - it really seemed pretty good to me. Better than magazines?
> I wouldn't know, I rarely read magazines, although I was an English lit
> major."
>

> And John wrote, "I am no judge of poetry, to call it good or bad. But what
> you are writing is meaningful and memorable. It speaks to my fear that Ruth
> might start slipping away before me, and that you are still writing poetry
> at the age of 81, which makes you ten years my senior, is hugely
> encouraging."
>

> Omar.  I knew you were joking.  J  John, I can go on posting but I'm
> sometimes reluctant to post individual poems, the subject one for example,
> written today.  The subject matter didn't allow me the freedom to introduce
> any imagery and the lines aren't as melodious as I would like.  So I
> settled for making it as tight as possible.
>

> Lawrence

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
Tel. +81-45-314-9324