[lit-ideas] Re: Derrideana

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 15:15:54 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/26/2013 8:25:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes in his "The difference" post:
http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2013/mar/25/derrida-excluded-favorite/
The  following is quoted from Derrida in the above review of a biography of
 Derrida:
“He traced this impulse in thinkers from Aristotle to  Heidegger, famously
arguing, for example, that a tendency to favor the immediacy  of speech over
the remoteness of writing was untenable. (Aristotle’s  formulation: “
Spoken words are the symbols of mental experience and written  words are the
symbols of spoken words.”) Through a series of deft and delicate  maneuvers,
Derrida sought to show that speech is inextricable from writing, no  more or
less authentic.""

The issue is whether we agree.

I never liked Aristotle much __on that_. It's the famous locus classicus in
 "De interpretatione". I think he uses 'phantasma' along the way. Rather
than  Heidegger, I would quote from Locke, who would say that spoken words
IMMEDIATELY  signify ideas and mediately signify things. I forget what Locke
(if anything)  said about SPOKEN words, but his Book III is indeed entitled,
"The Way of  Words".

I wouldn't know about ALL languages, but it would be good to trace the
'phonic' vs. 'graphic' distinction (or
 "différance" as it applies to Indo-Germanic, or Indo-European (as you  may
prefer).

----

The reviewer, above, in the references to "deft and delicate" Derridean
manoeuvres may be aiming at an implicature, or not.

I actually like Derrida's neologisms, if that's what they are. "Différance"
 being a good one, full of implicatures.

Cheers,

Speranza

--

From wiki:

Différance is a French term coined by Jacques Derrida, deliberately
homophonous with the word "différence". Différance plays on the fact that the
French word différer means both "to defer" and "to  differ."