[lit-ideas] Re: Derrideana

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:07:10 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/26/2013 8:25:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes in "The difference between speech and text
--  &
deconstruction" about Derrida and 'deconstruction' and 'demythologising',
and I see P. Enns has written on the distinction he finds between these terms.
 L. Helms writes:

"Apparently he was much more influential in the US than in France.   Why?"

L. Helm quotes from an online source:

“...[D]id this add to his appeal in the United States? In America,  Derrida’
s work was often deployed in battles over identity. Unlike in France,  his
first US readers encountered his theory in an atmosphere of social upheaval.
 ... In The Closing of the American Mind, Allan Bloom inveighed against
deconstruction for enabling America’s “relativist” turn—for conferring
philosophical legitimacy on an insidious quest to undermine reason, truth, and
reality itself.) Was it just a coincidence that his first major American
translator, Gayatri Spivak, the scholar who plucked the term “deconstruction”
 out of Of Grammatology and put it under a spotlight in her influential
preface  to the book, was an Indian-born US transplant and a woman?"

For the record, the wiki entry (yes, public domain, I know) allows to
'show' (rather than 'hide') influences of Derrida -- "influenced", it goes. The

rather list goes, as per below, in ps -- NOT in alphabetic order --

And I would add, to the list most importantly, Derrida. For surely  Derrida
influenced Derrida. Oddly, he did not influence Grice. I have NOT
doublechecked the list of people who did influence Derrida (which is hidden
from
view in Wikipedia, unless you make it show).

A long list, above -- making generalisations of the type L. Helm reports
rather 'interesting'.

Cheers,

Speranza

----