[lit-ideas] Re: Derrida Passes

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:16:19 -0500

So Mayo and Derrida died on the same day.  I doubt that Mayo knew who
Derrida was.  I'm pretty damn sure Derrida didn't know who Mayo was.  Two
men leaving the scene totally ignorant of one another.  I wonder had they
been friends who would have been changed the most?  Who we are and what we
think about life and humanity and all that stuff depends largely on the
people we know -- or so I say.  I've never understood a single word
Derrida's said.  I think I understood most of what Mayo said -- a lot of
which I thought was much too easily arrived at.  I wonder, had Mayo and
Derrida had known each other personally, who would it have changed most?
The intellectual or the man of daily duty?  My prejudice says the
intellectual -- maybe because he is "an intellectual".  But maybe not.
Maybe non-intellectuals, despite their public scorn, feel greater respect
for intellectuals than the reverse and listen more closely -- if only they
knew the vocabulary.

Mike Geary
Memphis