[lit-ideas] Derrida & Levinas

  • From: Julie Krueger <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:32:04 -0500

On a fair Sunday morning I have undertaken to clear out some of my ancient
e-mails ... thanks to G-mails incredible storage capabilities I seem to let
e-mail founder for far longer than it, in general, merits.  However, in
cleaning out I do skim through some with interesting subject lines.  In one
of these from nearly a year ago I find Phil Enns saying:

<<Derrida, in for example,
'Structure Sign and Play' quite explicitly argues that thinking must
maintain the belief that, in some way, interpretation seeks to uncover
a truth that is free from interpretation.>>

Question:  How does this square (or not) with Levinas' Tympan?

Julie Krueger