[lit-ideas] Re: Der Tod ist kein Ereignis des Lebens ...

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 17:58:30 +0000 (UTC)

Ludwig Wittgenstein

                        Vienna, 26 April 1889
            Oxford, 29 April 1951 >
According to Wikipedia this is a howler: Wittgenstein died and was buried in
Cambridge. Still. Robert's point holds.

On Monday, 27 April 2015, 18:43, Walter C. Okshevsky <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
wrote:

Oh my.  Skipper brings a sentimental tear to my eye with his invocation of
Mario
Lanza.  Having been born into an Italio-Russkie family, my formative years in
Montreal were spent listening to the Soviet Army and Chorus Band, Yulya, and
Mario's croonings.  Of which I recall most clearly his *O Sole Mia* and
*Arrivederci Roma.* Sniff.  But then came the British Invasion, and the rest is
history ...

Walter O

P.S. It must not go unsaid - or not - that for many people under the age of 30,
the titles of those 2 songs by Mario are understood to be names of pizzas
available from Dominos.

Quoting Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>:

So Ludwig only put in 62 years?  Hell, he was a piker.  I wonder if could
he whistle.  I admire most men who can whistle a happy tune.  Or Dixie --
it doesn't have to be a happy tune.  But more mostly I admire women who can
whistle.  By doing that they tell the whole of the human race to go to
hell.  Got to admire that.  I wish I were a woman so that I could be a
real, honest to God feminist and not an imitation one.  O well, we are who,
what, where, why, and when we are.  If this computer could print musical
notes I would whistle a tune for you -- something by Mario Lanza -- how
about "On the Street Where You Live"?  I know that one perfectly.  But
alas, male or female, we are limited to words in such venues.  What a
paltry world we live in.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 5:36 PM, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

                                                    Ludwig Wittgenstein

                        Vienna, 26 April 1889