[lit-ideas] Re: Deep Poverty at Record Levels, Where's That?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:53:53 -0500

I won't address your whole note, Lawrence. It would be too depressing (and probably pointless -- anyone who could write that first paragraph and think they are discussing the divide between the rich and the poor is truly beyond the pale...), but your second paragraph is just plain stupid. What possible relevance does the GDP of the poorest nations in the world have to do with poverty in America?

Best,
Ursula

Lawrence Helm wrote:

The “gulf between rich and poor in the United States” is baloney. Who cares? Why should I care if my CEO retired on $800,000? I retired on plenty. I have a nice 2200 square foot, two-story house, a large study, a view of the mountains out my study window, and everything else I need. Are we so greedy that we think we ought to get the $800,000 year retirements – or incomes? That’s bunk.

You report that the “deep poverty” level is $5,080 ought to be put into perspective: Consider that the American poverty level is higher than the GDP per person of 100 of the 229 World nations on the following list: https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/rankorder/2004rank.html