[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 24 Oct 2004 19:46:08 PDT

[Here's the complete Popular Culture and Philosophy from the Open Court web
page]:

In 2001, Open Court launched its Popular Culture and Philosophy series, the
brainchild of Professor William Irwin, who got together with some of his
academic colleagues to produce Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book about Everything
and Nothing. With volume 2, The Simpsons and Philosophy, the series became a
runaway hit, critically acclaimed and loved by a diverse readership. In 2003,
The Matrix and Philosophy reached the Top Ten on the New York Times bestseller
charts--a rare distinction for a philosophy collection.

Open Court has many exciting new volumes in preparation, so be sure to watch for
the latest titles. We are delighted to announce that in Fall 2004, we will
release two new volumes,  Harry Potter and Philosophy and Woody Allen and
Philosophy.

Volume 1 Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book about Everything and Nothing (1999)

Volume 2 The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh! of Homer (2001)
[This would seem to be a nod to The Tao of Pooh, Penguin 1983--ed.]

Volume 3 The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real (2002)

Volume 4 Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in
Sunnydale (2003)

Volume 5 The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All (2003)

Volume 6 Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box (2004)

Volume 7 The Sopranos and Philosophy: I Kill Therefore I Am (2004)

Volume 8 Woody Allen and Philosophy: You Mean My Whole Fallacy is Wrong? (2004)

Volume 9 Harry Potter and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts (2004)

Volume 10 Mel Gibson's Passion and Philosophy (2005)

Volume 11 More Matrix and Philosophy (forthcoming)
The first book listed on Open Court's home page is Mel Gibson's _Passion_ and
Philosophy, edited by Jorge J. E. Gracia. ('Twenty philosophers with widely
varying religious and philosophical backgrounds examine all the most important
issues raised by the controversial film, without ridicule or rancor.') The
second is Frege's Lectures on Logic: Carnap's Student Notes 1910-1914, edited by
Erich H. Reck and Steve Awodey.

It isn't hard to guess which of these Open Court expects to make money.

Robert Paul
Reed College