[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:15:32 -0400

M.C. Not sure what you mean here. Does this "answer" consist in the
observation that most people would prefer reality to illusion? If so,
it's not clear that this is really "one of the film's questions", to a
greater extent than : Why would they prefer this?

I think, perhaps, that we only agreed that most people would not knowingly
'choose' being lied to.  Those people in the pods would hang on to their dreams
in great numbers, I suspect.  Like the masses in Plato's cave, they would begin
a whispering campaign about how Neo was deluded or crazy, and, at the very
least, dangerous.  In other words, they would close their eyes.  So much like
this new century.

Ursula, with her eyes wide shut
in North Bay