[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:32:58 +0200

Le 21 oct. 04, =E0 15:41, Robert Paul a =E9crit :

> Donal writes
>
> This remark seems so correct to me, and its denial so wrong, that it=20=

> might be
> asked whether list-members want to name movies etc. that they think
> illustrate no "philosophical themes" whatever? [Such a counter-example=20=

> would
> be interesting on a number of levels].
> --------------------------------------
> OK. I'll bite. The Matrix.

M.C. Whether or not one likes this film/these films, surely one must=20
admit that at least *some* attempt is made to discuss themes like, for=20=

instance, free will vs. determinism? Precisely who is making what=20
choices at what moments is not alway immediately transparent in the=20
film(s), and someone of poor taste and low sophistication, like me,=20
might find such moments susceptible of philosophical interpretation.

        Oder?

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76