[lit-ideas] Re: Death of a Thinker

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:37:37 EST

For years I have had an odd theory -- that among religious people
Protestants hate Updike and Catholics love him.  It has something to do  with
the notion
of what redemptivity or redemption looks like.  I'm not  sure how this
translates into secularists' perspectives of his books.  I  used to have
endless
arguments with a good friend of mine who is a devout  Catholic -- she
perpetually
argued that the Rabbit series was redemptive and  optimistic while I found it
the complete antithesis (I have tried very hard to  like Updike to no
effect).  I don't doubt that Updike is a good  author.  But his ...message....
is
hard for me to understand.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Death of a
Thinker  Date: 2/15/05 1:33:32 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm betting you like Updike,  Bill?

____

Remember the kid in "A&P" quits his job, doesn't  get the girl, but
instead gets a sense of the immensity of life's choices in  the last
paragraph.

Updike was somewhat  optimistic.