[lit-ideas] Re: Death of David Myers

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:35:12 -0800

OK:  Hum, well, I had some rather vehement political disagreements with you as
well, but I don't think that it translated into personal dislike. (Okay,
occasionally I was irritated, as were you, probably.)

LH:  I can’t remember.  J

OK:  Btw, were you mentioning /discussing Jarred Diamond's book Guns, Germs and
Steel ? I am reading that book now

LH:  It wasn’t that book but I’d read books on similar subjects and also on his
Third Chimpanzee subject:  Most recently (according to my Kindle):

Cochran & Harpending: The 10,000 year explosion, How Civilization accelerated
human evolution

Corballis: The Recursive Mind

Oppenheimer: The Origins of the British

Wade: The Faith Instinct

Wade: A Troublesome Inheritance

Wilson Darwin’s Cathedral

Lawrence

Hum, well, I had some rather vehement political disagreements with you as well,
but I don't think that it translated into personal dislike. (Okay, occasionally
I was irritated, as were you, probably.)

Btw, were you mentioning /discussing Jarred Diamond's book Guns, Germs and
Steel ? I am reading that book now.

O.K.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Sorry again for reposting this information.   David and I were usually on the
same side politically and there were the occasional off-line bits of advice
both to and from.  He advised me once to start a political blog.  I recall
advising him after what seemed the next thing to a nervous breakdown to take
time away from the forum and that there was no rule demanding that he read
every post.  I did have one serious disagreement with him over the merits of
Ted Hughes.  He was at the time planning to invest major time in the study of
him – perhaps resulting in a book.  I had studied him enough to have a negative
opinion and provided it with a close reading and criticism of several of Hughes
poems.  I often wondered if what I did was overly discouraging.  As far as I
know he never wrote the book.

Lawrence