[lit-ideas] De Legibus Martialis -- De Torturanda

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:45:52 EST

That is, of martial law.

J. Wager was mentioning Bacon and how he enjoyed torturing Nature -- Wager
goes on to say that there is a male instinct towards the torture of the  female.

I disagree. I believe the first and dominating instinct is the male torture
of the male.

I was reading in Frontinus, Strategems, Loeb, for what I think is the first
instance of torture -- I call this 'martial law' -- because, they are so much
_harder_ than us civilians!

The chapter is called,

"How to retrieve information from the enemy"

LIBER II: DE EXPLORANDIS CONSILIIS HOSTIUM
On finding out the enemy's plans:

"M.CATO IN HISPANIA"

When Marcus Cato was in Spain

QUIA AD HOSTIUM CONSILIA ALIA VIA PERVENIRE NON POTUERAT

being unable otherwise to arrive at a knowledge of the enemy's plans,

IUSSIT TRECENTOS MILITES SIMUL IMPETUM FAERE IN STATIONEM HOSTIUM

he ordered three hundred soldiers to make a simultaneous attack on an enemy
post

RAPTUMQUE UNUM EX HIS IN CASTRA PERFERRE INCOLUMEM.

to seize one of their men, and to bring him unharmed to camp.

TORTUS ILLE OMNIA SUORUM ARCANA CONFESSUS EST.

The prisoner, under torture, revealed all the secrets of his side."

Cheers,

JL