[lit-ideas] David Ritchie (the)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:09:12 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/2009 12:17:36 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Or wine.
David  Ritchie (the),----

--

That was very clever, to add the 'the'.

My favourite addition I learned from "1066 and all that":

       by Sellars and Yeatman (MA, Oxon,  failed)

-----

Anyway, the 'the' strikes me as an Italianism.

In Italy, most operas are called "The": "La Didone" (Cavalli), and  others:
"La Griselda" (Scarlatti).

In Buenos Aires, to say, "the Griselda", la Griselda, is heard as
'low-class' for some reason.

Strawson philosophised on that:

"They don't say," he wrote as Visiting Woodbridge Scholar,"here in America,
 _the_ Congress, but simply, 'Congress', which strikes me as odd. In
England we  always say "The Parliament"" (Subject and Predicate in Logic and
Grammar).

For Strawson, the problem of 'growing capital letters', as he called it, is
 philosophical.

"earth, or even the earth, becomes "The Earth""

--- "It will not before long that in America they start to call people The
David, rather than merely "David'"

----

JL "Say Hey" Speranza

    Refs.:

          Strawson, P. F.,  'the' -- entry in J. O. Urmson,
               Oxford Encyclopeadia of Philosophy. Oxford.

fingertips.