[lit-ideas] Re: Daughter of a Female Dog

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:44:10 -0230

Morally obligatory axims to live by for scholars and teachers:

1. Let not secondary/critical commentary on the work of a genuine philosopher
interfere with your study of that philosopher. This maxim is doubly obligatory
in the case of Kant - no, I don't know if obligation permits qualitative,
scalar differentiation - since no other philosopher has had more crap written
about him than he. (Btw: if Kant were alive today he would choose to live in
Montreal - specifically the NDG area of town in the West where Loyola College
and The Golden Moon Chinese restaurant continue to maintain their eternal and
categorical identities.

2. All papers submitted must be no longer than 15 pages exc. of Bibliography,
double-spaced, 12 pt. font, 1 inch margims all around. Papers submitted by a
certain date will be given written feedback and stamped with a grade. Students
wishing to raise their grade are free to resubmit, taking into consideration
the instructor's substantive critical comments. Students wishing to receive
commentary on second drafts must include with their final submission a stamped,
self-addressed envelope.

This approach elimnates a large dose of bullshit from the final paper.

Walter O
MUN

P.S. Typical comments:

1) This sentence is unintelligible due to sentence structure.
2) You do not articulate the meaning of this concept and yet it figures
centrally in your argument.
3) This paragraph has no relation to the previous paragraph. Moreover, I do not
see how it contributes to any of the issues you address in this paper.
4) This sentence appears to contradict what you say on p.7. Am I misreading you
here?
5) You need to document your interpretation of Kant's view here. I doubt that
Kant ever held such a view.
6) Much of this paper is simply descriptive. It does not develop a clear
argument on the topic it claims to address. Biographical data on the writers you
cite show no necessary relevance to their arguments or to your critical analyses
of those arguments and should be deleted in the interest of space.
7) There is no need to include in your Bibliography texts that are not cited or
addressed in your paper.
8) I drink single malt, preferably Oban, 18 yrs old.