[lit-ideas] Re: Daughter of a Female Dog

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:53:02 +0700

John McCreery wrote:

"Could it be that demonstrating that the writer understands the careers of
the relevant authorities and what they mean by what they say is more
important than the argument per se? This is an ancient pattern in Asia."

And this pattern can be found in Islamic thought as well.  I agree that what
I find in my student's papers draws on the Asian pattern you mention, but it
is also something different.  There is something of the Javanese culture of
saying much without saying much, combined with generous borrowing from
Wikipedia for the chaff.  I think it is the Wiki stuff that puts it over the
line for me since it is so obviously out of place.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns